Livestrong Day 2009 September 13, 2009Posted by croissantandbagel in Uncategorized.
I happened across a food blogging event for Livestrong Day 2009 and although I think I might be too late, I thought I would post about it anyway. The idea is that you cook something with a yellow ingredient and then blog about it to raise awareness for cancer. I think it is a great idea and reading some of the stories is incredibly inspiring. After someone I am very close to had a brush with cancer several months ago I am just so thankful that everything seems to have worked out for them : )
My original plan turned out to be a bit disappointing- I did want to make a sort of lemon curd and almond and hazelnut dacquoise sandwich (Mum and P love lemon curd, and mum is trying to avoid flour). What I ended up with was a bizzare comination of sweet, tangy, crunchy and liquid. My teeth protested at such abuse. So while it didn’t live up to my hopes, I was left with an excellent icecream topping. I whipped the left over lemon curd used it for making little daisies instead, which ended up being more popular.
- 225gm unsalted butter, cubed and softened at room temperature
- 100gm caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 320gm plain flour
- Granulated sugar (for top)
- Cream butter and sugar. Add lemon zest and salt and beat until well mixed.
- Sift in flour. Mix until just combined, no more (it will look crumbly).
- Chill dough for at least an hour.
- Spread granulated sugar on a baking paper.
- Roll out to 7-10mm thickness between two sheets of baking paper (as dough gets sticky) and cut out shapes.
- Cut out small circles from half of the shapes (top layer). Lightly press these into granulated sugar. Place on top of base shapes and press down lightly.
- Chill the biscuits well before cooking them (at least several hours).
- To bake, preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the cookies onto a silpat mat. Bake until the edges are just starting to colour, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Pipe whipped lemon curd into cut out circle.